Saturday, August 30, 2008

Out and About...

Sunny Portland...Mackenzie has been wanting to go walk around downtown Portland. Me, I'm not so much a big city girl.(I'm not a country girl either..hmm) I guess if I learned how to get around I would like it better. The few times I've driven there have been an adventure. Mackenzie and I went to a concert a few years ago (Ryan Cabrera - he was awesome, funny and could SING!) and we ended up getting lost. I called Casey crying,( I freak out easily) and he directed me on the phone to where the concert was. Another time I drove Mackenzie, her friends and their Mom, Suzy, to a concert. We made it to the concert but ended up going the LONG way home. Oh well, at least we made it. I'm not alone though- another time we went to a concert with Suzy and her girls and Suzy was the driver. We got a little confused getting out of Portland and we ended driving on the MAX TRACKS! If I remember right the concert wasn't that great, but we still talk about the ride home!

Anyway - all of my kids love Portland and know their way around. Thursday Mark, Mackenzie and I picked up Ashley and Baylor and off we went.(Sorry Kyle, you were working!) We found a good parking spot and walked down to Pioneer Square. There was an afternoon concert - a girl and her guitar - and lots of people sitting around eating their lunch and hanging out with friends. We didn't have a lot of time because Ashley had a dentist appointment, but we enjoyed the sunshine, did a little shopping (well, Ashley did) and had lunch. We made it home with time to spare and even got to take little Baylor home with us while Ashley went to her dentist torture, - I mean appointment!

We saw a few "interesting" people which always makes things fun.



Mackenzie wore this shirt-
and got a few comments. One guy wanted to carry on a conversation about peace and started following us. Luckily he saw someone he knew and left us! Mackenzie was creeped out and Ashley was even a little nervous!

I have to admit I enjoyed it and would like to go again when we have more time.

Ashley showed us the spot where you stand and it sounds like you have a microphone when you talk. It only sounds like that to you though - no one else. Weird but entertaining!

Mommy, can I have some of your sandwich?





Columbia River...



Friday morning Mark and I drove to the Columbia River. Mackenzie wouldn't get out of bed and Kyle was working, so it was just the two of us and Miley. It's about a 30 minute drive- but living in Battle Ground we're used to driving about that far to get anywhere! It was a nice morning, sunny but not too hot. We went down by the river to check it out ...


and then walked on the paved walkway.
We saw...

A statue of an Indian girl named Ilchee.(Moon Girl) I think Mark liked her! A few landmarks from the Lewis and Clark expedition...

We walked by some nice condos...it would be so fun to live by the river!

Palm trees below one of the condos!


Planes and boats...

A train...

And a bald eagle. Well, Mark is pretty sure it was a bald eagle but my camera couldn't zoom in close enough.

The walk took us about an hour and we really had a good time. Maybe we burned off the calories from our breakfast at McDonalds? Nah..probably not. Miley got some good exercise though. Another thing to add to my "do again" list!

5 comments:

Rene said...

Hi Michelle! I miss Vancouver and Portland SO much! Darrell and I loved going over to Portland to walk around Pioneer Square. And the paved path along the Columbia River was a great place to bike ride with the kids. I miss it....

whitney said...

Hi! That looks so fun, I have wanted to take Ivy down to Pioneer Square for those lunch time concerts, but I am too nervous to do it by myself! Funny that I live in the Big City and I am scared of it! That sunshine looks so nice! We are coming over tonight for dinner, see you soon! :) and I will bring a large drop cloth for Ivy!

Shelly's Space said...

Not only have you been a busy blogger......you've been plain BUSY!! That all sounded so fun....I chuckled about Ashley shopping.......sounds just like her:) What a beautiful week:)

Ashley May said...

*note to self* DON'T wear peace signs in Portland.. you'll get too much unwanted attention! That was fun! I want to go on that walk by the river w/ Baylor.. maybe next week. :O)

Nanette Hirschi said...

OK....I just bought a "peace sign" shirt! Ha Ha...I better not bring it in November:) I love your updated blog. I am scared to change my wallpaper because last time I lost my whole blog. You might need to walk me through it:) I felt like I was reading a kids book about your Columbia River adventure....planes and boats...ha ha. Can't wait to see you guys!!