Tuesday, November 2, 2010

^Lava Canyon^

Mark and I like to go to Mt. St. Helens at least once a year. The mountain fascinates me. I guess living with the ash fallout and having it literally shut down our town made an impact on me. I love how we have such an awesome view of it in our area. Quite a few years ago we stumbled upon Lava Canyon with our two youngest kids. They don't remember it but Mark and I do.  Not too long after we were there, a 5 year old boy fell into the water and his dad tried to save him. Neither of them survived. Very sad!
I wanted to go back last year but we never made it. I decided this was the year and Mark was willing. Mackenzie won't go with us because the drive there makes her too carsick. (me too!)
We actually ended up going twice because we didn't have much time the first time around.

 There are signs posted all along the path
 We got lucky and had beautiful weather. We were alone in the canyon both times. Someone was either leaving as we got there or arriving as we left. It was awesome to have it to ourselves!
 This looked like a water slide...a deadly one!

 This bridge was just a little shaky. I got to the middle and started to panic because mark was recording with his phone and I couldn't go around him. I wanted OFF! 
 We got a little silly...

 Mark left his hat in the car and wanted to borrow my hair!
Lots of Lava...

We stopped to take a few pictures in front of the mountain just outside of the canyon.

The mountain is now covered in snow. 
See ya next year Mt. St. Helens!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to take the boys there. I only vaguely remember the ash, but I do have a pic of myself with white hair after falling in it.

Ashley May said...

Oh my gosh that bridge looks scary I can't beleive you went on it!!! That looks really pretty there I guess I need to go sometime! I will get sick too though!

Nanette Hirschi said...

Thanks for motivating me to catch up on my blog!! I love your posts. I never imagined the corn maze to be that muddy!! You told me it was but HOLY COW! I'm impressed that didn't hinder you:) And someday I am going on that hike with you! Love, love, love Mark's toupe!! 9 more days until we are there:)